Sunday, December 13, 2009

Hey thats a bleeder....

Guess the big news of yesterday other than my venture to the mall (more on that later)was m mishap yesterday afternoon. After a day of trying to clean the carpet downstairs, which I am yet still unsuccessful I finished the afternoon with 5 stitches in my forehead.
The story goes like this: After renting a steam cleaner from Ace hardware I finally get my family out of the house and Josephs room picked up, which is a task itself. I mix the solution and dump it in the cleaner. Fire it up and squeeze the trigger and nothing..... Check my connections, still nothing. Vacuum works, no pump spraying solution. Great! Load the unit up and begin to take it back to Ace.
The I get a phone call from Sammie, the lady I work for in Biltmore Forrest. Her garage door wont open, and she's heading back to Atlanta. So I head over to her house and begin to work on getting the door up and her on her way. Now this is a commercail door, all metal and what ever width a 2 car single door would be, and HEAVY. Get it fixed after some work. Well in the mean time I am telling Sammie about the steam cleaner and she says borrow mine. Didnt know she had one to borrow but why not. So load it up and head to Ace to return the defective one, which I did.
Since I am in no rush I head to the mall, 2 Saturdays before Christmas, well you get the picture. It was bad, but I dealt with it just fine. Took all my usual shortcuts and was in and out without any major issues
Get back home and proceed to unload the carpet cleaner I am borrowing from Sammie. Carry the main unit inside and set it in Joseph's room next to the new (used) Soloflex I got for him and I. Go and get the 2 water containers that I had removed from the unit and carry them inside. I go over to where I parked the main unit, which is right under the Soloflex. I bend over to set the container down and WHACK!!! I slam my forehead into the end of the weight bar. Have you ever seen lights and stars when you hit your head? Well I saw them yesterday.... Holding my head I feel that warm sensation of blood running down my face. Great split the forehead open. Grab my shirt and put pressure on the cut, sit down on the steps and regain what little composure I normally have, then head up stairs to take a look. Lets just say that head cuts bleed, a lot. Shirt covered in blood and it wont stop. Change from my shirt as a pressure device to a clean washcloth. After 45 minutes of pressure its still bleeding. Oh joy a trip to the ER, Urgent care or something at 5pm on a Saturday afternoon.
Annette and Joseph arrive from the mall and as expected Annette goes nuts, and Joseph in the eyes of his Dad, starts wise cracking the situation. After a quick phone call to the Urgent Care, which has already closed its time to go to the ER. Fast Track ER, which means it kills 4 hours of your time instead of the customary 6 hours. A misnomer in words..... So I suggest calling a friend of ours, lets call him Dr. X just in case someone actually reads this and is mean enough to get him in trouble over whats soon to take place. Dr X is answers the phone, in the middle of putting a chest tub in someone, No lie here. He says sure send me over in just a little while and he will take of me. Dr X is a great guy, done a lot for us over the years and not one to follow rules, which is good. The world needs more people that do stuff because they should, can or want and not doing something because some bureaucrat says not to.
So off to Dr X's house. I have a bandage on my head as I am still bleeding if I release pressure, and of course my Christmas hat. Dr X and I shake hands and head to the kitchen table. Sure enough I cut a nice gash in my head, not that big but crescent shaped. He determines I have knicked a feeder vain which is why it wont stop bleeding. To bad, as that rules out glue according to Dr X. SO here comes the stitches. Michael, Dr X's son is recruited to be his assitant and Joseph is recruited to hold the flash light. The only that really hurt was the lidocane that I got to numb my forehead. I look over and Joseph is white as a ghost, LOL. Dr X sees this and suggest he sit down, no complaints from Joseph. Guess that rules him out becoming a Doctor, which is good to know. After some cleaning, scrubing, numbing the stitching begins. Joseph's color comes back somewhat and he is able to hold the light and begin to watch Dr X sew me up. I will admit, seeing that sometimes freaks me out, luckily I wasnt watching Dr X sew me up. 5 stitches in all and what soon will be a nice headache.
Whats cool about this is it was all preformed at the kitchen table. It was sterile, no worries there, I trust Dr X with my life, and have told Annette if they ever drag me in let him do the work if its in his arena. He preformed something that has long past, true medicine because he loves to help. Not forcing me to go to the ER, office or where ever, but at his kitchen table.
My Thanks for Dr X !

No comments: